Monday, April 15, 2013

Spring Cleaning

I'm back from my blogger break. It's been gorgeous in NJ the past week, so I've been prepping for the upcoming Trenton Punk Rock Flea Market as well as starting seeds and doing yard work.

Yesterday Chuck and I prepped the ground out back and laid down some grass seed. Apparently, the people that lived here before didn't really know what they were doing and there were bricks, slate, and paving stones all over the yard just under the surface. My arms are killing me today, btw. I feel like I have Popeye forearms. 
who buried all these bricks?
will have a border and creeping thyme between the stones

So we have a huge pile of bricks now, even after setting a little walkway to the back gate, that I'm not really sure what to do with just yet. But, we still have a long way to go. The grass seed is going to be a challenge though with 3 dogs...even if it is that special doggie-proof formula. I'm probably going to look into some ground covering. I'll be posting pictures as things start to take root, but here's a "before" picture; curious pit bull included. 


And I started my vegetables this morning. What I have so far: tomatoes, red bell pepper, and cucumber, plus cilantro, basil, oregano, and chives. I'm still going to get some dill for pickles and yummy tzatsiki too. I'm also going to try onions for the first time. I picked up some sets on my last trip to Home Depot

Oh! I almost forgot! We started a compost too! There were already some piles of decaying stuff so we kind of just consolidated it and as I was finding worms, added some of those too. Nothing fancy like some of the things I see on Pinterest, but it'll do. 

So there it is. I'll post a couple more pics this week once the stone path settles a bit more and the grass begins to sprout. but here's some more before shots...and a dog. 

free fire pit from our awesome neighbor. 

grass seed
The yard has doubled in size now. 

Are you doing any yard work yet? Growing your own food or flowers? Do you have any idea what I should do with all those bricks? How about that back gate? Let me know! 


No comments:

Post a Comment