Friday, March 8, 2013

Lovely Layers: Cakes in the Buff

I hate fondant. It's gross. Period.

I don't bake much. I cook. But once in a while I'll get the urge to bake a cake. Usually chocolate. I'm not a fan of baking, thus why I rarely have fresh-baked cake just laying around. All the waiting involved with the bake time and cooling and then icing. Most of the time I just slap some icing on the middle and top and spread it around a bit, not worrying about aesthetic. But! Apparently, my minimalist approach has become chic in the wedding world.

Have you heard about naked cakes? They've been gaining popularity over the past couple years and they are so unique! They lend a bit of rustic charm and are more cost effective. Fondant is expensive, people!

Did I mention it's also gross?

These cakes are beautiful. Lightly filled and frosted and NAKED! The sides aren't frosted. Sometimes they're powdered a bit. But, I like the way it looks without the powdery sugar. I would skip the cheeky cake topper and opt for a more sophisticated floral and fruit combo to adorn these luscious layers.


source

source


I want to mention that if you decide to go this route for your cake, get creative with the cake flavor and filling options. Without all the fondant and butter cream, the cake is front and center so it better taste good!


source

source

source

If this is your work, please notify me so I may give proper credit. 


source

source

What do you think about going naked? Would you have a naked cake at your wedding? We want to hear your thoughts! Tell us in the comment section!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment