Thursday, February 7, 2013

hashtag:trending

I'm feeling like I'm off my game this week as far this blog goes. I know it's supposed to be Green Thursday today, but I'm already sick of the color of the year and we still have 11 months to go. But you know what? I was never really one to follow trends anyway and just because I started a wedding blog, why should I start now?

Plus, the brides I've loved working with in the past have always made their events unique and off-beat. Never a trendy affair. So I've resigned to a new decree: I write what I want and flip the bird to the fads, trends, and mainstream. We make designs for the curious and unconventional, so this is no place for trends anyway. I will still have color combos, beautiful pics of my favorite gowns, blooms, and even some DIY projects that I've found from some of the blogs I admire, but I don't want to try to fit into some sort of "box."

When I started this blog, I used others' as an example of what makes a blog successful. Since then, I've come to realization that what really makes a blog successful is consistency, individuality, and above all passion.

 I'm the first to admit that I am not a writer and most of the time I don't even think I'm good at it. I ask myself, "Why would anyone want to read what I have to say?" I've worked in the floral industry for just under 10 years. This, by no means, makes me an expert in my field. I still have a lot to learn. I still want to learn.

I worked under an award winning designer and was basically her apprentice for that amount of time. I recreated her designs. I did this very well. All the knowledge I have gained about weddings, events, and floral design in general has all been from this one person. In the past couple years I've started venturing out and trying to make a place for myself in this highly competitive industry.  I had a job with a large retail chain which had an in house floral shop. It was there where I was able to create original designs for the first time. It gave me confidence to consult with clients and make their vision come to life. I've since left that company but the knowledge I gained is immeasurable.

So where do I go from here?
As a start-up company/blog writer, I ask myself this question daily. Often, a few times a day. And even as I sit here typing this, I'm not really sure of the answer. But what I do know is this: I love design. I love pretty things. I love different. Tradition and the untraditional. And I know that everything I create is made with care, attention, and a wild passion that can't be tamed.


From La Dolce Vida






No comments:

Post a Comment