Monday, February 18, 2013

Interview: Jenna Lowe- A Notch In Time

I am so happy to introduce this wonderfully talented jewelry designer. I met this lovely lady when we were in high school and thanks to facebook, we've been reconnected.  When I started this blog, I knew I wanted to feature her incredible works of art. So here she is, Jenna Lowe of A Notch In Time.

1. Where did you go to school? What did you study?
After starting college in New Jersey, I ended up transferring to Kent State University in Ohio.  I was excited to be accepted into their Fashion program, and graduated with a Bachelor's of Science in Fashion Merchandising.



2. How did you come to design jewelry?


 I've always had a love for fashion, especially all things vintage.  It stemmed from that love, along with my fascination to create beautiful objects out of sometimes unexpected items.  I started frequenting flea markets and auction houses, purchasing box lots of broken vintage jewelry pieces, hardware, and other trinkets.  From there, I just started creating, and “A Notch in Time” was born.

3. What inspires you?
 Oh gosh, inspiration can be found everywhere!  Anything from browsing through an antique store, stalking my favorite designers online, or even what a friend is wearing that day can provide me with inspiration.  Right now, “The Great Gatsby” is a major inspiration for me.  I’m currently working on quite a few Art Deco pieces that stem from my love of that story, and I’m extremely excited for the release of the movie!

 4. Tell me a little about your technique. Do you have any little “rituals” to get you in “the zone?”
 This is a bit odd, but I always tend to have modern musicals on TV in the background, like Sweeney Todd, or Burlesque when I’m creating.   I usually start by dumping a whole bunch of materials out onto my workbench, and start maneuvering pieces around until they “fit”.  Sometimes, I can sit there for what feels like hours, and nothing will come to me, other times ideas just pour out and I can barely keep up!

5. What do you love most about designing jewelry?
 So many things come to mind!  Designing jewelry has become an amazing outlet for my creativity, as well as an excellent stress reliever.  I also enjoy the challenge of creating something unique and beautiful from just a few bits and baubles. The hunt to discover new materials and media to work with is so thrilling to me, as well.  And I can’t forget the satisfaction I feel when I finish each piece, or when I see a customer’s excitement over receiving one of my pieces!

6. 3 words to describe your aesthetic. Why?
 Romantic, Vintage, and Steampunk would describe my aesthetic fairly well.  These words come to mind based on the materials I tend to use in my pieces, and the feelings I hope to invoke with my creations. 

 7. What are some of your favorite materials to work with?
 Watch movements, gears, and skeleton keys are definitely some of my favorites.  Since these items tend to be quite old, I love the patina and “wear and tear” they show, along with their intricate detail.  I love the juxtaposition of combining these more masculine feeling pieces with jewels and gems, to give them a more feminine and romantic feel.

8. I see a lot of photos of models wearing your jewelry. Can you tell me more about this? What other projects are you involved in?
 Yes, I work with models and photographers quite frequently on photoshoots.  It never hurts to network with those in your industry, you never know what can happen.  Actually, a model I worked with early on, who has now become a close friend, was the link to getting my pieces consigned at a local boutique. I also find the process of working on a photoshoot quite inspiring, and it often provides me with endless ideas for new designs!
 
Partaking in these shoots provides a great source of free promotion for my jewelry, as well.  Many people have contacted me about pieces based on seeing my photos around Facebook, or other modeling and photography websites.  Also, I’m generally able to use these photos for my business cards, price tags, and other marketing materials.

Right now, I’m working on a few magazine submissions, as well as collaborating on a “Lookbook” featuring my jewelry.  The Lookbook will serve as an excellent way to market my pieces to other boutiques in my area, in hopes to sell there in the future.

9. Is there a piece you’re especially proud of? Why?
 I have to admit there isn’t one specific piece that comes to mind.  I am most proud when I learn new techniques, or branch off by using new materials.  I have been incorporating raw stones, including some beautiful quartz points in new pieces and I’m really excited with the possibilities of these new materials!

10. Where can we buy your jewelry?
 Currently, I’m selling locally in Pittsburgh at a boutique called Highway Robbery Vintage.  For those not local to me, you can visit my Facebook or email me at ArtistryByJLowe@yahoo.com to inquire about available pieces or to have a custom piece designed. I’ve tried Etsy in the past, and haven’t had much luck, but I may return in the future.

11. Anything else you would like to add?
 I’m so glad to have found something that I love to do, something I can put all my creativity energy into, something that I find very rewarding.  I encourage everyone to find their own “something” and run with it!




 Mossy Couture would like to thank Jenna and A Notch In Time. We love your art and thank you for taking the time to talk to us about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment